Sunday, December 6, 2015

CH 9 The Wisteria Bush



 Chapter9
The Wisteria Bush 

Mara printed off the training schedule she had gotten off the Internet and gave it to Esther and me. The schedule was for five months and started off with three miles three times a week and increased to 10 miles about half way through. The most we would run before the marathon would be 20 miles and that would only be one time. Lindsay, who was way more experienced than any of us, thought the schedule was too easy and would not prepare us adequately for the marathon. He thought we should be at 10 miles sooner, but Mara swore by the schedule. We decided to go with Mara’s schedule. She assured us we would be fine.
My alarm went off at 5:45 am. It was still dark and my body felt like a big bag of sand. I had been so excited the night before. It had seemed like such a great idea to get started early but not so much right now. Chad rustled a little, made a little moaning noise, and rolled over. I could see the outline of his body in the dark with the covers tucked gently under his arm. I snuggled in close behind him and gently put my arms around him. His skin was warm and the bed was amazingly soft. It felt as if everything was telling me not to get out of bed. As I released Chad and rolled to the edge of the bed even the sheets seemed to be beckoning me to stay as they brushed by my body as I began to rise. It was hard to resist the temptation to just let my body fall back into the comfort of my warm bed.
 It was silent and no one was awake but me. I quietly got into sweats and a tee shirt and headed out the door.  There was neither time nor desire to brush my teeth or fix my hair. I slowly walked the few hundred feet towards Esther and Lindsay’s house. Mara was just heading across the street when I arrived. I almost laughed when I saw Lindsay. He was wearing silky short shorts that resembled the American flag—red and white stripes on one side and white stars against a blue background on the other. I hadn’t seen shorts that short since the eighties, but then I hadn’t watched many races because apparently that was what the runners wore—short shorts made of lightweight material. Lindsay’s bald head was covered with a red bandanna much like a biker dude. 
My attention was diverted by a white Dodge Durango pulling into the driveway. A couple in their mid-thirties emerged from the vehicle. Lindsay and Esther warmly greeted them and introduced them as Greg and Jolene. Greg had dark hair and Jolene had blond hair that was in braided pigtails. Greg was relaxed and friendly while Jolene seemed a bit apprehensive. She admitted that she didn’t know what she was doing, “I can’t run a marathon.” She joked with Esther. “I know, huh?” Responded Esther, “What are we thinking?” The two of them giggled with nervous energy. Esther explained that she had recruited Jolene right after Mara and I persuaded her to sign up for the marathon. Esther said she wanted someone who wouldn’t leave her behind—someone to give her support.  
After stretching, Lindsay and Greg took off and that was the last we saw of the boys. The four of us ladies started out together chatting and marveling at our new goal to run the marathon. Esther still wasn’t sure she was actually going to do it. She hadn’t quite made up her mind that she really wanted, or even could, run the marathon. For now, it was just a novel idea and a way to lose weight for her high school reunion in July.  
Jolene seemed a little unsure as well. She said she just wasn’t sure she could physically do it. Jolene was very competitive by nature and had played all the sports in high school. She was a sprinter and loved running fast—in “the day”, but that was “BC—before children,” she had explained as she grabbed her stomach purely amazed at the amount of extra weight she had gained over the years. She said she needed to lose about 40 pounds, but that was just plain ridiculous. I don’t know why we women think we need to look like we did in high school. It’s just not healthy. But we do. 
Jolene and Greg volunteered to help at the marathon a few times. They were at the finish line at Vernon Worthen Park to help the marathon racers. Jolene said it was inspiring. She said there was just something about being there—some kind of energy that you could feel as you watched the exhausted racers cross the finish line. Some runners were buoyed up by the crowed and found strength they didn’t know they had while others spent every ounce of energy they had and needed assistance. It never crossed Jolene’s mind that she would someday be one of those runners she admired.  She figured it would take more than she had especially as she watched one runner puke all over Greg’s shoes.
That first day we were going to run two miles. We had run past the two churches and just turned the corner on Sandia Road when Esther said she was going to have to walk. Mara hoping to push her a little further, pointed out the mailbox that was just about 400 yards away which was the one-mile marker, but Esther just couldn’t do it and began walking.  She was mumbling something under her breath, and waved us on. She said to catch her on the way back. Jolene was jogging by my side. She was breathing heavily. “Are you OK?” I asked. Unable to answer she just nodded and continued on with her pigtails bouncing gently with each stride.
We made it to the mailbox and headed back. When we reached Esther, who had already turned around, she began to jog next to Jolene. I pulled ahead with Mara and was able to keep up with her until she decided to sprint the last half mile. I wondered if running with us was going to be a challenge for her. Her goal was more than to simply finish the race like the rest of us; her goal was to beat last years’ time.  I doubted that any of the rest of us would be close to Mara at the finish line.
Over the next several weeks, we had worked up to a whopping five miles. Esther was able to make it without walking. A new lady joined the group. Her name was Mona. Mara invited her to join us when she heard Mona was training for the marathon alone.  Mona was blond and very tan. She was in her early fifties and was in good shape. She had come to love jogging after a very painful divorce. As a single mom with six kids, she not only liked the exercise time with her friends she needed it. She lost forty pounds in the process, but what she gained was far more valuable—she gained friends, and confidence, and it helped her keep her sanity. Now she is remarried and has only one kid left at home. Mona had been running for several years, but this would be her first marathon.
The five-mile loop took us up the Washington Fields Road, around the Mesa, and back to the Washington Fields Road. I preferred doing loops rather than going out and back by the same route—it took out some of the monotony. It was nice running near the fields with the fresh alfalfa growing and the view of Pine Valley Mountain in the distance. The fresh air smelled good. I didn’t even mind the occasional scent of manure that came from the nearby dairy farm. Five miles wasn’t too big of a stretch for me. I had done that before when I lived in Heber and was running with a friend who convinced me to run a 5K with her. That wasn’t my challenge; what was going to be a challenge for me was what happened the Monday after the five-mile run. 
Mondays were always the short run of the week.  Today we were scheduled to run three miles. At 5:45 the alarm made its usual annoying buzzing sound. It seemed like I had just gotten to bed. As I turned off the alarm, I noticed the bathroom light was on. I rolled over to see the space next to me in the bed was empty. Just then Chad emerged from the closet completely dressed with shoes in hand. He seemed to be in a rush as he sat down in the chair next to the bed and proceeded to put on his work shoes. I was a little groggy and confused. Why was he up so early? Chad had been going to work at 7:00 a.m. He was the one who was staying home with the kids, but it did not appear that this was going to happen today.
“What are you doing?” I asked bewildered and still a little dazed from just waking.  “Oh….well,” he paused, “I told the guys we were going to start work at 6:00 from now on.” He got to his feet and headed out of the room completely oblivious to what I felt was the obvious. “Well, what about the kids?” I said trying to keep my mounting anger in control, “and, my run. I run at 6:00. You know that.”  “Uh,” he stammered only interrupting his haste to get out the door for just a moment. “I know and I forgot to tell you,” He said apologetic, yet firm. “I have to go.”  “Well, I have to go too.” I tried to stand my ground as I got out of bed and headed for the closet.  He stopped and sighed. “I’m sorry,” he said softly, “but what do you want me to do? I have five guys standing around that I’m paying ten dollars an hour. Do you want me to just stay home?”  I could do the math. Five times ten was fifty dollars—fifty dollars an hour. That was a lot of money.  Money was always tight and especially now since the bankruptcy and the move. My running was not making any money nor was it benefitting anybody but me. I was so angry, but what choice did I have?
I stayed in my pajamas for most of the day and moped around the house. I don’t know why all my energy was sucked out of me and why I felt so depressed. I had no desire to do anything at all. Missing one day of training wasn’t the problem; being pushed aside was. And this wasn’t the first time. This was just one of my many ventures that got squashed. I was always more than willing to give up on my passions and put others first. I’m not saying that I’m some kind of a saint. I just felt that was my job as a mother and a wife.
 It reminded me of the wisteria bush I had in Heber. I had fallen in love with the Wisteria bush when I saw it in a magazine. It was pictured climbing up the porch of a cute cottage house. It was so spectacular looking the way it climbed up the trellis. It had the most beautiful purple blossoms that adorned the porch. It takes about five years for the plant to get established before it really looks like much of anything. I planted it near the front porch and babied it for three years. I pruned it and fertilized it and staked it so it would wind its way up the porch. I was always excited in the spring when new growth would appear. It wasn’t much, but I imagined how beautiful the purple blossoms would look and smell in just a few more years.  
Then one spring, we decided to put in a fireplace. Chad had his crew come over to lay the stone on the outside of the house for the chimney. I asked Chad to be careful of my little wisteria bush; without much conviction, he said he would try. At the end of the week, the fireplace was magnificent. The river rock looked great and added such a nice touch to our rustic home, but when I noticed the broken stem and the green leaves that were smashed in the dirt, I was heartbroken.  Nobody even noticed. When I brought it to Chad’s attention, he explained that it was just so close to where they were working and it would have been too difficult and costly to work around it. I suppose it was just too small and insignificant. And, that was just how I felt right now.  
I just couldn’t let this one go—I couldn’t let this dream be squashed. When Chad got home from work, I told him how much the marathon meant to me. I couldn’t make a good argument.  It wasn’t going to help our family, it wasn’t going to make any money, and it seemed just plain selfish, but I had set a goal. I felt so good; I felt so alive.  I didn’t know why, and it really didn’t make sense, but I just had to do it. I didn’t totally understand what I was fighting for.  Perhaps it was like the wisteria bush. Maybe there was more to me than even I realized. Maybe, God knew who I was and what I was made of.  He knew I was capable of great and marvelous things that—that I had a purpose, and I needed to know that too. I needed to know that I was not small and insignificant, and perhaps, just maybe, I was worth a lot more than $50 an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment